Spenting

 

Today morning as I woke I had a strange Idea. Yesterday being the last working day of the month my salary had been credited to my account.To my surprise I found a six digit figure as my balance . I guessed that some bonus and some shift allowance was added to my regular salary and so it showed that big amount. I was quite pleased with myself añd decided  to maintain the balance at least for a day. You all are familiar with the concept of fasting.  Most people fast on auspicious days.  They spend the whole day on fruits and milk.  They don't eat cooked food till they complete their fasting. I thought why not we do 'spent' ing.  that is not to spend even a single rupee the whole day. "Spent_ing " a nice word  coined by me. I smiled at myself at this strange word. 
          I decided that I should not take a single rupee from my pocket whatever the reason be. I knew it was little difficult to keep this but I thought I would be strong enough to try not to spend a penny . As I was thinking on these lines my wife came to me and asked me the reason for my absentmindedness. I narrated the whole issue and showed her the balance with joy. She teased me and said that the balance wouldn't be there even for twenty four hours as we had lots of debts and loans to be paid the following day. But I told her strongly that I wouldn't spend a pie not only the following day but also for another day or two.Let all debts and loans wait for a couple of days to be cleared
         After I decided my resolution for today I  started my daily chores. As I was doing my daily practice of yoga my son fifteen years old came to me and said , "papa give me two hundred rupees. I have to buy a  gift for my friend as today is his birthday"        I said hurriedly you don't have to give such a costly gift. Instead you can take a plant from our balcony and gift it. It looks innovative and nature loving. "Papa. You don't know anything. My friend will think that I am mean. Please  papa give me money I have to go and buy a gift "  Bhaiya get me a good set of bangles and earrings which match the dress I am going to wear for the party." said my daughter coming out from the bedroom. I was wondering how to overcome the situation. My wife smiled and came to my rescue. Your Papa is not going to spend money today. So take the money you need from your kiddy bank and later I will give you." "But all that is also my money. We should not spend that also. "I said little gloomy. "See if we want to fast we should alone fast . We should not force others with our ideas "my wife said. rather irritated." Let them spend their savings." she said and her words were final. 
           After that my morning went very peacefully and by tea time the problem reappeared. As. I was having tea my servant maid came and asked for salary. "We usually give you money on 5 or 6 of the month . Why are asking for it today." I groaned. "Sir. I am going to my home town to attend a marriage. I need money for my expenses."she said. "Never mind you come tomorrow. I will arrange for it. Today I can't help you". I said. "But sir   I am leaving tomorrow early morning. Please give me today." She said almost pleading.  I looked helpless at my wife who was watching us. Again she had a ready made answer for this problem.   "Leela come at six in the evening I will give you money. She said añd sent her. I looked questioningly at her. She understood my thoughts and said "  Our tenant told that he will give me the rent at five. so I told our maid to come at six."  I breathed happily on hearing this. Atleast I need not spend money from my pocket. 
              At 8 in the night I faced the same problem for the third time. My father rang up and said that he along with my mother and sister were waiting in the railway station . They couldn't find an auto and hence asked me to bring them home.  My wife said " book a cab and they will come safely. But I refused, saying "   ' It is matter of  just one hour and the distance is barely fifteen kilometres. The cab will charge at least five hundred rupees. I will go in my vehicle and bring them home. You get the dinner ready by the time we return." So saying I started for the railway station. The __'after that story I hate to tell  but I have to reveal the sad part that traffic police stopped me at a signal and charged me with a fine of Two thousand for not wearing seat belt and over speed. Not only that there were previous challans that I had not paid for the past six months such crossing the red signal, going in prohibited one way....  all amounting to a  total of almost five thousand. The police seized my keys and said that they would return only after clearing all the fines.!! Soo sad .That was the end of my "spenting".

                                                                                    ---- Indira Mohan, Hyderabad, Telangana, India

Post a Comment

0 Comments